Saturday, May 19, 2012

It's really happening...

Dental School is coming to an end.  It doesn't seem real yet, other than the fact that Nathan finished up his last day in the clinic on Monday and will now be home with us until the beginning of July (wahoo!).  I guess you just expect to feel like older, more mature people when you complete something like this.  But we are the same Nate & Jess that started out on this journey 4 years ago...only now we've got 2 kids and Nate can fix your teeth. :)  I really am proud of my crazy, loud, funny husband, though.  He's worked really hard and he's been super committed to our family the whole way through.  Nathan is going to make a fantastic dentist, and I'm excited to move onto the next phase with him.  He's passed all of his licensing exams, finished his hours in the clinic, and now we are just waiting on the official graduation day (May 31st).  Until then, we are going to be sure to party as much as possible.  Here's the first of our exciting events...

My friend, Kara, suggested to me a couple weeks ago that we throw a little graduation party for our friends.  I was excited to help.  I love throwing a good party!  :)
We had a 'reception area' at the party where everyone picked up their T-Shirts.  Kara had the great idea of making some shirts for the guys.  My brother in law, Wesley, had a friend that did shirts as a side business so I got in touch with him, designed the shirts, and he had them made within 5 days.  The back of the shirt said, "grades are up...", which Nate suggested as a funny saying that would mean something to all the guys.  I think they turned out pretty cute!


This is where we put all the desserts...

And the "Filling Station" for all the food.  Kara made the adorable accordian wheels hanging from the fan and I put together the congratulations banner. We made a great little team!  It also helped that Kara has a beautiful house with a perfect backyard and pool!
And what Dentist Party is complete without goodie bags?!  
Kara's cute little prizes.  The guys all did a relay where they had to put on scrubs, a gown, a mask, and gloves, then do 10 push-ups/star jumps, then 3 summersaults or cartwheels, then jump in the pool and swim to the other end.  The first to reach the large cutout of the tooth at the end (which said, "Save the Tooth from Decay") was the winner and received the "Doctor, You're a Lifesaver" prize.  Ok so maybe a tooth saver isn't quite a lifesaver...but some might think so ;)
And of course a party isn't a party unless I have some over-ambitious idea that ends up taking me much longer than I wanted and which I severely regret about half-way through.  But they did turn out pretty cute, don't ya think?
And sadly I don't have any pictures of the people at the party...only the decorations.  Typical me.  And I would have loved to upload the video from the relay but blogger never wants to upload any of my videos...don't know what I'm doing wrong.

5 comments:

Tracy and Odie said...

Ah you're so cute! What a fun party!!

The Gronemans said...

It was an amazing party and every detail was perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time to plan it!

Monica said...

It was an amazing party. Thank you sooooo much for planning it. We had a great time.

Sabine Schindler said...

What a great team you and Kara made. All of those decorations and ideas are super cute! LOVED the T-shirts too. They did turn out great!
And of course you and Nate made a great team, making it through Dental school with 2 kids! Congratulations!!

Meghan and Tyler said...

Hurray!!! Congrats to both of you!! Wish you lived closer so we could visit Dr. Nate. We are looking for a new dentist :). Your party looks like it turned out adorable. It always does though. You are so talented and creative! Also, saw the picture of you and Nate on Facebook. LOVE your dress. You guys are so good looking! We are proud of you, and I agree with your mom, you are a great team to make it through Dental school with 2 kids! Love you!